Artist: Greenville Native, Don Mong
Completed in 1849 and opened for business in 1850 by Gabriel Baer [1814-1880], Bear’s Mill is one of the few operating water-powered mills in Ohio today.
A rare historic landmark, the mill is located on the eastern outskirts of Greenville, Ohio, along a peaceful stretch of creek side woodlands.
Purchased in 1849 from brothers Moses and Manning Hart by Gabriel Baer, Bear’s Mill’s grand framework is constructed of exquisite hand-hewn timber beams that are nearly 50 feet long — without a single splice. Standing four stories high, grain is carried from floor to floor throughout the inner workings of the Mill by the power of the water that runs through the mill race below. Baer traveled to France to purchase buhr stones for the mill, a two-year journey. The mill still has two sets of these stones today. While in France, he left the operation of the mill to his brother, John [1823-1909] and brother-in-law, Emmanuel Hershey [1821-1914].
Bear’s Mill still grinds grain into flours and meals today, using the same cool grind practices as old-world millers. Grain is carefully passed through the French Buhr millstones to produce a healthy, whole, minimally processed product for you to enjoy.